Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nodal Ninja 6 P1 C2 Mecha with Nadir Adapter

Hi,
    I have several of the Nodal Ninja Pano heads going back years and find them excellent. I have just ordered the Nodal Ninja 6 P1 C2 Mecha with Nadir Adapter to try and make it a bit easier for large panoramas and multiple indoor 360 shots using a dslr.
    My concern is that I am a bit daunted by the threads here about codes, wizards, and button configurations, and nothing about the new P1 rotator.

First question really is, is it possible to program it to shoot say 7 Rows, each row has a different number of shots for a full 360 spherical panorama to be stitched with PTGui?

Row + 3 shoot 8
    Row +2 shoot 15
    Row +1 shoot 21
    Row 0 shoot 30
    Row -1 shoot 21
    Row -2 shoot 15
    Row - 3 shoot 8
    + Nadir and Zenith

If so what are the steps please?

Congrats for C2+P1, not need to be daunted, soon MECHA will have the simplest UI interface possible, you'll have that as free FW update.

Until then please read in the user manual here
    https://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/c2-guide.pdf#page=57

instead of
    SP,0x12,-45x12,45x12,Z,N
    You may enter
    SL, for Start Level
    Then for each row
    the tilt in degree for that row x the number of shots for that row

e.g.

SL,75x8,55x15,20x21,0x30,-20x21,-55x15,-75x8,N,Z

assuming the rows are at tilt, 75, 55,20, 0,-20,-55,-75
    then save the preset with the desired name
    1. Mecha it possible.
    2. Mecha it easy.
    3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Comment

Cheers for that.
      Is it possible to program bracketed shots also so 3 or 5 shots per position?

Comment

Sure, is possible.

if camera is set to take 5 bracketed shoots at a single press of its button, you need to set in MECHA, TRG 1
        if camera is set to take 5 bracketed shoots at 5 press of its button, you need to set in MECHA, TRG 5
        it is just like MECHA is pressing the camera's button once for every TRG set.
        You can set also pauses after each trigger, or before , or after the entire set.

There is also shutter confirmation implemented, and an enhanced shutter confirmation is coming,
        with the upcoming you'll be able to set MECHA to move after it detects a number of shots, back from camera,
        Though for any shutter confirmation is required the extra cable (PC sync), beside the shutter release one, and camera to have the required port or an hot-shoe adapter.

1. Mecha it possible.
        2. Mecha it easy.
        3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Comment

Thanks again. I assume the TRG 5 is set in the UI interface and not in the code?
          One more question please. What are the parameters to shoot a bracketed panorama that is not a 360 but say 120-140 degrees for a Skyline with with either single shots or bracketed?

thanks again.

Comment

For now,
            you can set the TRG in UI.

For partial panorama, if instead of full 360° you need 140°,
            you can to add (140) at the end of script
            e.g.
            SP,0x12,-45x12,45x12,Z,N does 360°
            while
            SP,0x12,-45x12,45x12,Z,N(140) does only 140° wide

for partial up-down, you just need to remove the uwanted rows from script, e.g. -45x12, describes the shots at -45° tilt, which is downward , you can also remove N for nadir
            so
            SP,0x12,45x12,Z(140) does only 140° wide from middle up

In the upcoming UI you'll be able to drag a rectangle to describe the area of interest in degrees for partial panoramas.

The same set for TRG are for both full or partial panoramas.

1. Mecha it possible.
            2. Mecha it easy.
            3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Comment

I think I have enough to go on now. Thanks for the quick responses.

Comment

Hi, The Mecha Dual Axis P1 combo arrived this morning. I have a few questions as the April 7th 2021 User guide does not cover the P1 basic unit specifically and it is slightly different.

The Case has a lot of small plastic bags with different Alan keys, screws and other items, but there is no mention of these items anywhere or what they are used for? A "Whats in the case" section of the user guide would be very useful.

There is a Red Handled Alan key that is separate but does not seem to fit any of the Alan screws that I can see. What is its purpose?

There is a metal button on the top of each Vertical and Horizontal piece and there is no mention of what these are for? Pressing them does not seem to do anything that I can see?

The Slide stops seem to require Alan wrench to loosen and tighten...is this correct? Seems a bit restrictive. If on a location and no Alan key and an adjustment needs to be made it would be difficult to do it?

Thee is a bad with a Nodal ninja DC Power Splitter Cable - Not sure what to do with that?

Regards

Darren

Comment

About the spares and misc. parts, we'll add a list with what's in the bag.
                  For now, you only need to use them when you're instructed to do so.

P1 is great rotator, has virtually no backlash, less to care about, the only specific setting is to set in MECHA
                  https://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/c2-guide.pdf#page=49
                  but I'm sure it is already set.

How do you know if it properly set?
                  https://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/c2-guide.pdf#page=16
                  [>][+] shoud do a 90 degrees rotation

The rotator can be set, if needed,
                  1) long press of [≡] when MECHA is idlle
                  2) short press of [≡] to switch the OLED Menu from P to C page (for configuration)
                  3) [>] until page 7 of menu
                  4) press [down] button until you see SET P1 AS ROTATOR 1
                  5) press [O] , the middle button, to confirm

The metal button is for locking the rotator when (un)screw it on tripod, in order to not force the gear.

About the rail stops, although they require fewer changes in field, some rail stops have a holder for a little Allen wrench, a magnetic one,
                  not sure if it is what you're referring, though.

the DC Power splitter is to allow parallel power input, in order to be able to change the battery mid session, without interrupting the session.
                  Some real case use scenarios will be shown in videos at some point,
                  better to have it already included than to need to source it if/when needed
                  1. Mecha it possible.
                  2. Mecha it easy.
                  3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Comment

Originally posted by dmcneill View Post
                    Hi, The Mecha Dual Axis P1 combo arrived this morning. I have a few questions as the April 7th 2021 User guide does not cover the P1 basic unit specifically and it is slightly different.

The Case has a lot of small plastic bags with different Alan keys, screws and other items, but there is no mention of these items anywhere or what they are used for? A "Whats in the case" section of the user guide would be very useful.

There is a Red Handled Alan key that is separate but does not seem to fit any of the Alan screws that I can see. What is its purpose?

There is a metal button on the top of each Vertical and Horizontal piece and there is no mention of what these are for? Pressing them does not seem to do anything that I can see?

The Slide stops seem to require Alan wrench to loosen and tighten...is this correct? Seems a bit restrictive. If on a location and no Alan key and an adjustment needs to be made it would be difficult to do it?

Thee is a bad with a Nodal ninja DC Power Splitter Cable - Not sure what to do with that?

Regards

Darren
                    You can set aside the small baggies. They are spare or for accessories (future or third party) or for creative use of MECHA rotators.
                    The big wrench is for disassembly the vertical MECHA E2. Again not important for the time being.
                    The Lower stop plate position depends on your camera. It is unlikely you need to change frequently. Keep a hex key with you if needed.
                    Fanotec
                    We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Cheers will play around with it. A lot of options to figure out.

I am wondering also what recommended settings would you use for the following.
                      I am using an old D800 with a 8-15mm as My D850's are set for other projects at the moment/
                      I set the TRG for 5 to shoot 5 bracketed shots and used the preset for the +45 and -45 with Nadir and Zenith. I'm getting mixed results.
                      Some of the positions only take 2, 3, 4 and 5 shots instead of each taking 5 so the bracketing sequences are then out of sync. Doing it a few times gives different results.
                      I tried the Back to 1 sec to delay between the bracketed sets but it makes no difference.
                      Any reason for this?

Comment

Set your camera to AEB and set MECHA to 1 TRG. Set E delay long enough for the whole bracket. Use upper left [info] button for basic guide in UI.

Nick
                        Fanotec

Comment

MECHA acts like your wired remote. You trigger once (long press) for AEB, not multiple times.
                          Fanotec

Comment

Hi,

thanks its all very helpful.
                            Just curious also as I continue to test and figure things out. Is it possible to reset the Mecha to a default position to ensure it is at 90 degrees etc. When I press an arrow to put the upper arm into the Level position, I am never sure if it is at 90 degrees. Is there a option to tell the upper arm to return to parked which is in the correct location?

It may also be something I am doing but on a few test shots where it is 6 rows with +45 and -45 and Nadir and Zenith, after it completes the base row, the Mecha then rotates to -45 to start the bottom row...and stops. The UI shows the message "waiting"... but then I noticed C2 has turned off.... I then turn the C2 back on but the UI stays at "waiting" so i have to turn everything off and restart.
                            What can cause that? I just need to understand things for the moment as i do not want to bring it on a shoot until I am familiar with it. I will still bring a manual Nodal Ninja head any just in case.
                            Cheers

Comment

You can use [up][+] or [down][+] to rotate vertically with 90° but that is relative to the position,
                              For now, one way for more precise results will be when powering up MECHA to be sure that is parked,
                              due to gravity it can be a bit off, if you have a sign reference) on upper rotator then manually correct the position of upper rail,
                              i.e. hold it, when powering up.
                              after powered, you can be sure that [up][+] or [down][+] will go forth and back from parked to level.

After you'll have more experience, you'll be able to have perfect level position after starting, figuring out what is the needed degree,
                              e.g. due to gravity MECHA can be in Parked when is powered OFF, thus motor being free, e.g. 93° from level, so you can assign [up][≡] to 93 deg.
                              you'll use like this,
                              1) level the tripod with MECHA in top, look at the spirit level.
                              2) Power ON MECHA
                              3) After is started and idle, press [up][≡] and MECHA will go in level, then use [up][+] or [down][+] for level<->parked swap.

Abut C2 powering OFF, please access
                              192.168.8.1/config
                              user:admin
                              pass:Mecha
                              then wait 30 seconds and click on [Backup Data]
                              and sent the downloaded file to mecha(at)nodalninja.com
                              is the second report that MECHA C2 is powering OFF, maybe is something in files,
                              I'll look at and sent the fix back.
                              1. Mecha it possible.
                              2. Mecha it easy.
                              3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Comment

Working...
                              X