Feedback about Fast Shutter Confirmation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback about Fast Shutter Confirmation

For the upcoming Smart features of MECHA this is a step in reducing the need for complex delays,
    Please post here your feedback about AEB sequences.
    The feature is in latest FW published for all controllers.

An important note.

In order to use this you need to have a PC Sync cable connected from Camera to MECHA's AUX port, then to enable the feature in /config.
    When triggering, MECHA will send the trigger signal for opening the shutter and will wait for one Shutter confirmation, if it never came, for whatever reason, then please press power short, if it seems that doesn't work please disable the feature. MECHA will do that for every TRG, please have this in mind when configuring the camera.
    Is not meant to be used only for AEB, for long time exposures, or auto exposures, is useful as well.
    Tested with a Canon 5D and 5D2, works well.

Feedback is very much appreciated.

thanks,
    Dorin

-------------8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C1E_02218
    This is beta: Added in /config "[x] Enable Fast Shutter Confirmation."
    If is enabled, MECHA will wait indefinitely, for each trigger, until the shutter confirmation comes through AUX port via a PC Sync cable.
    For now, in case of DAC, this should be enabled in /config of the controller the AUX port has the PC Sync cable connected to.
    This should help when the shutter open time is not known, like AEB.
    Please test it and send feedback via forum or e-mail support.
    Is an extension of the old shutter confirmation, which, reportedly, didn't work well for very short exposure times.
    1. Mecha it possible.
    2. Mecha it easy.
    3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Note that most cameras disable the flashing signal in electronic shutter mode, except the latest Sony A1 has flash sync with electronic shutter. :-(
    Switch to mechanical shutter if you want to use this feature.
    Not sure how the detention for the fastest signal goes. If signal is too short, then we can use increasing order of shutter timing in AEB, MECHA only needs to detect the longest exposure. User will need to input the shutter speed though.
    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Good point about the settings in camera!

Tested and worked fine for exposures down to 1/8000, on Canon 5D.
      This was added in order to not require user to input the shutter speed.
      We'll see how the feedback is from various cameras

The next will be the smart delay with no PC Sync.

1. Mecha it possible.
      2. Mecha it easy.
      3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Comment

I use the EOS R with the Nodal Ninja hotshoe adapter. Because the cable in the adapter wobbles like a lambs tail I have glued it.

After updating the firmware and activating the new option, the upper and lower leds on the mecha light up permanently, even after a reboot. Is this intentional?

With the option enabled only the first frame is triggered, after that the mecha waits forever. If you press the power button as recommended, still nothing happens except that the two previously lit leds now start blinking.

How can I test if the hotshoe adapter works? Wasn't there the option to short the two contacts?

By the way: Canon says that the flash does not work in silent shutter mode with the EOS R, without it only up to 1/200 seconds.

Any information about that vibration sensing Nick has mentioned on Facebook?
        Last edited by msimons; April 18, 2021, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Thank you for feedback, collecting as much I can and the following FW will address as much issues I can ASAP

The short of contacts will act like shutter confirmation, MECHA should not wait after that,
          Is very useful you pointed that the cable in adapter wobbles, that may lead to false multiple confirmations, as may produces micro connect and disconnect.
          I'll try to reproduce the steps you outlined.

For testing, with MECHA single

e.g. simple test

131> will execute the 6 around
          MECHA will not advance to the next until it receives the confirmation, (it triggers once) either from camera or by short.

for a more complex test, say, if TRG is 3 in preset (TRG is the new for IMG) so it will trigger 3 times,
          MECHA will pass only after it receives 3 confirmations.
          1. Mecha it possible.
          2. Mecha it easy.
          3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Comment

Silent shutter or electronic shutter has the flash disabled. Make sure you don't use that There is no vibration sensing in C1 and C2.
            I refer to delay allowed for vibration.
            Fanotec

Comment

For particular testing one can use any wired remote provided the cable can be plugged in AUX port, either through 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter or cable, full press should act like a shutter confirmation, must be easier than shorting the pins, this is only as variant of testing if you suspect the camera doesn't signal the shutter confirmation, or you don't have the required PC Sync cable or adapter, for now.
              1. Mecha it possible.
              2. Mecha it easy.
              3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Comment

I guess it should be fine if both controllers have this feature enabled?

Fanotec

Comment

If you mean C1 and C2, yes they have it in the latest FW

If is about DAC, then, for now only, the controller connected to camera, via PC Sync on AUX, needs to be enabled with this feature, as MECHA will wait for the confirmation from AUX port and will not pass if is not confirmed, so with both controllers in DAC with fast confirmation enabled, MECHA will need to receive two confirmations on either port, again this is only for now, automatic detection for PC Sync will be added, that is not difficult, once we're sure that works as expected.
                  1. Mecha it possible.
                  2. Mecha it easy.
                  3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Comment

I tried it again tonight and measured my hot shoe with a multimeter. The contacts are not continuous and I have to get a new cable. Instead of the hot shoe, I connected a wired remote control to the mecha's AUX port, and it works wonderfully there. The mecha triggers the camera, it finishes its bracketing series and it only continues when I press the button on the remote control. How do I imagine that when it works with the camera? Doesn't the flash trigger come before a picture instead of after it?

Comment

Indeed it may need for camera to be set to keep sync signal low when the the shutter is open,
                      e.g it is called "1st-curtain sync" on Canon 5D (value 0 at Custom Function 15) similar setting may or may not be on other camera,
                      or it can be "2nd-curtain sync" (again in case of 5D) in which case the sync signal is only at the end of exposure, in both ways is good for MECHA as it can move forward after it counts that "pulse" either long or short, as long as the last part is at the end of exposure
                      it is one of the reasons for this much appreciated feedback.

As a note, currently this is affecting the E: delay in MECHA
                      for other reasons, like vibration, delays to avoid buffer full, or time for pole to stop wobbling the other delays can be used but usually they don't depend on exposure, instead on other factors,
                      though for vibration, some circuitry can be added on AUX cable (chained), I can image simple vibration sensor in parallel with the sync signal, so on..
                      1. Mecha it possible.
                      2. Mecha it easy.
                      3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Comment

Originally posted by msimons View Post
                        I tried it again tonight and measured my hot shoe with a multimeter. The contacts are not continuous and I have to get a new cable.
                        You can cut the cable and connect to the internal wire directly. Glue it with silicone. This way you get a clean and secure hotshot adapter with cable.
                        Fanotec

Comment

As Nick suggested, I cut my cable and soldered it directly to the contacts on my hot shoe. The first Test with my EOS R was promising and I was able to shoot several bracketing sequences with the option activated and the camera only continued to rotate when the row was completed. Taking photos with the Mecha is twice as much fun!

Comment

Thank you for feedback, much appreciated!
                            1. Mecha it possible.
                            2. Mecha it easy.
                            3. Mecha team up.

4. ..

Comment

Hi
                              Using Nikon Z7 After updating the firmware and activating the new option, the upper and lower leds on the mecha light up permanently, even after a reboot.

With the option enabled only the first frame is triggered, after that the mecha waits forever.

Cable is connected to Mecha H, and only H is configured for the option
                              Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
                              Riyadh in Panoramas

Comment

Working...
                              X