Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTGui template

Hi
    I usually enter scripts manually (I have some saved), and don't change parameters in the interface, just change number of shots and degrees, and then download the template to use when done.
    When I load the template, focal length always defaults to 50mm (ok before applying template), when I change the lens FL, the panorama changes photos positions
    What am I doing wrong please?
    and how can I edit the template file to fix the FL if it can be done.

regards
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Riyadh in Panoramas

There is a video about template here

Please look and see if you do something different.

Then, I'll provide more info, if you need.
    1. Mecha it possible.
    2. Mecha it easy.

MECHA Support mecha(at)nodalninja.com

Comment

Thanx, I checked that before posting, but I guess my problem is that I dont generate the preset, I enter an old script manually, and then change only the number of shots and the angles in the script.
      Maybe Mecha assumes I am using a 50m lens, while i use 16, 24 or 35 mm lenses depending on location.
      Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
      Riyadh in Panoramas

Comment

It should work if you set in PTGui the focal length after applying the template,
        if you can screen capture your workflow on your PC in PTGui
        and send a zip with the movie to mecha(at)nodalninja.com using wetransfer.com
        can have a look and see what goes wrong.
        1. Mecha it possible.
        2. Mecha it easy.

Comment

Done
          Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
          Riyadh in Panoramas

Comment

Thanks, I had a quick look, and it seems ok,
            is the case with featureless walls(*) when PTgui fails to assign control points, or rather it assigns clustered, good enough for positioning but not for lens parameters.

I'll get back with some more detailed instructions in the future, make a video about, but until then here are the basics

1) make a test pano at 35 mm in a room with features all around,
            PTgui should have no problems in producing a perfect panorama if the NPP is correctly set,
            - if not
            2) practice until you have perfect panorama with the above set, you may need to use the optimizer in advanced mode in PTGui
            3) save the PTGui file and lens profile you obtained in Lens database in PTGui
            4) on the walls(*) photos loaded in PTGui apply the MECHA template then the lens profile you saved at (3)
            or if you used the exact same script as in (1) you can apply the PTGui project saved at (3) as well
            5) now you can add control points in PTGui automatically but don't optimize any Global lens profile,
            that is unchecked FoV, a, b , c i.e. optimize only the Yaw Pitch and Roll, as they could be changed slightly.
            (I'll add some tips in the future how to avoid those little changes as well)

1. Mecha it possible.
            2. Mecha it easy.

Comment

Thanx
              I rely on template and don't set control points , saying that, when I generate control points for all overlapping photos (First Time I did it) the optimize, it gets better
              I usually load photos then apply template, but I noticed the demo file as in video are not rendering right when using my templates.
              I uploaded a new video at https://we.tl/t-syTFi4CMtq
              Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
              Riyadh in Panoramas

Comment

Your workflow is OK but needs the (3) to apply a lens profile, PTGui just don't have enough info to determine the correct lens distortion from that particular set of images, but it can have from a different set, then apply that lens profile but don't optimize lens distortion.

So it gets better because it positions the images better but don't have the perfect lens parameters (it determines of some degree, but not perfect) for distortions and exact FoV
                Fortunately that can be determined once and applied on production shooting like this.

To summarize, is need to have that test in different room where PTGui manages to stitch a panorama perfectly, just care to be with the same focal length, if you use Zoom, then use the saved lens profile to these photos and other you'll take in the future.
                Last edited by DorinDXN; July 8, 2022, 04:09 AM.
                1. Mecha it possible.
                2. Mecha it easy.

Comment

Thanx, I use a prime 35mm z mount lens on a Nikon Z5 (sometimes Z7), how to add lens profile to ptgui please? I see it listed but dont know if the parameters are ok
                  Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
                  Riyadh in Panoramas

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	LensDB.png
Views:	23
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	34951In PTGui go to Lens Settings then Lens database / Save as new record and give a name.
                    To apply later, click on Load instead then select the name of the profile.
                    1. Mecha it possible.
                    2. Mecha it easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X