Increasing online Virtual Tour Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing online Virtual Tour Detail

Will using a wide angle lens in lieu of a fisheye produce an online virtual tour with more detail? Will the end result be that users can get closer to objects in a very large room?

I am undertaking a virtual tour of a small museum with several very large rooms. To get better resolution of the panorama I am thinking of using a 15mm lens instead of an 8mm fisheye.The tricky part will be shooting the nadir shots to eliminate the tripod. I have not done this before.
    My equipment and software: Ultimate M2 Nodal Ninja, Nikon D500, PTGui, 3DVISTA Pro Tour.
    Thanks for your help

If you enjoy making panoramas and need to require it to subsequent level, or if you're just getting started but immediately need a great quality panorama and a hassle-free processing, a wide-angle lens is that the best investment you'll make.

When shooting your panorama, rather than taking dozens of images which may become a true headache to stitch together, a wide-angle lens enables you to shoot a full spherical panorama with only 6 or 10 images, counting on ifs focal and therefore the size of your camera sensor.

That’s the trail I personally took. I bought a mid-range Canon DSLR, with its kit lens. I sometimes needed almost 100 images to hide the entire sphere of the panorama. As I got more and more serious about making panoramas, and as I got a touch uninterested in the effort of sewing numerous images, I finally decided to shop for a wide-angle lens .

I never regretted my decision!

If you've got a full frame camera, an 8mm wide-angle lens will offer you the characteristic circular image (180° field of view) with some black space on the corners. If you've got a crop camera (APS-C sensor), the image will cover the entire sensor and you'll get an awesome ultra-wide angle picture! Both are fine to form panoramas because the panorama software skills to handle these sorts of images.

Comment

I usually shoot with a 24mm focal length, yes it takes longer time, and have to be careful when shooting with people movement around, but I am quit happy with my results.
      I am using the Mecha with MK3 so I dont have to take care of movements etc, used t use 16mm fisheye with R1, but as I moved from Nikon D850 to Z7 I use the 24-50 kit lens that came with it.
      I am experimenting with Focus shift and that would be a big headache with the number of shots, but as it is too hot in Riyadh, I prefer to shoot only on assignments, and clients are happy with HFD results.
      Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
      Riyadh in Panoramas

Comment

Thank you aydon-toma and hdraye. I appreciate your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
        X