Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPP/Correct components for Canon + Sigma Fisheye 8mm f/3,5 EX DG

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NPP/Correct components for Canon + Sigma Fisheye 8mm f/3,5 EX DG

    Hi,

    we ordered a Nodal Ninja Google Ultimate R10 Static Tilt Head & Rotator Mini Package (GTPPKG) from a shop in Europe
    and it seems that one particular component may be outdated or incompatible with the other parts we want to use.


    First the camera parts:
    Body: Canon (EOS 70D)
    Lens: Sigma Fisheye 8mm f/3,5 EX DG for Canon


    Pano head parts:

    From
    Google Ultimate R10 Static Tilt Head & Rotator Mini Package (GTPPKG)
    Nodal Ninja Lens Ring V2 for Sigma 8mm & 15mm Canon Mount (F6401)

    LRP35
    QRC-30

    Compass + Spirit level
    90° Rotator


    The combination is:
    Canon 70D + Sigma 8mm fisheye for Canon + Lens Ring V2 for Sigma 8mm & 15mm Canon Mount + R10 Static Tilt Head



    According to that page, the part LRP35 is outdated and now a different part is shipped instead, LRP45X.

    In this table the combination LR2 (which means Lens Ring V2, correct?)
    and LRP40 (to be replaced) for Sigma 8mm (/ 15mm) fisheye for Canon is missing.
    Only LR1 (Lens Ring V1) is mentioned in combination with a Sigma 8mm fisheye for Canon.


    1. The LRP35 is outdated and would have to be replaced with LRP40N?

    2. What LRP40X variant would be compatible with Canon Body + Sigma 8mm fisheye for Canon?
    Would the product named "Nodal Ninja Lens Ring Plate LRP40 (40mm long) for Lens Ring Clamp R1-R10" be compatible instead?

    3. And finally, from where/how can I obtain the correct NPP value for this combination?


    Thank you for your support.

    With best regards

  • #2
    Originally posted by Eyefish View Post
    Hi,

    we ordered a Nodal Ninja Google Ultimate R10 Static Tilt Head & Rotator Mini Package (GTPPKG) from a shop in Europe
    and it seems that one particular component may be outdated or incompatible with the other parts we want to use.


    First the camera parts:
    Body: Canon (EOS 70D)
    Lens: Sigma Fisheye 8mm f/3,5 EX DG for Canon


    Pano head parts:

    From
    Google Ultimate R10 Static Tilt Head & Rotator Mini Package (GTPPKG)
    Nodal Ninja Lens Ring V2 for Sigma 8mm & 15mm Canon Mount (F6401)

    LRP35
    QRC-30

    Compass + Spirit level
    90° Rotator


    The combination is:
    Canon 70D + Sigma 8mm fisheye for Canon + Lens Ring V2 for Sigma 8mm & 15mm Canon Mount + R10 Static Tilt Head



    According to that page, the part LRP35 is outdated and now a different part is shipped instead, LRP45X.

    In this table the combination LR2 (which means Lens Ring V2, correct?)
    and LRP40 (to be replaced) for Sigma 8mm (/ 15mm) fisheye for Canon is missing.
    Only LR1 (Lens Ring V1) is mentioned in combination with a Sigma 8mm fisheye for Canon.


    1. The LRP35 is outdated and would have to be replaced with LRP40N?

    2. What LRP40X variant would be compatible with Canon Body + Sigma 8mm fisheye for Canon?
    Would the product named "Nodal Ninja Lens Ring Plate LRP40 (40mm long) for Lens Ring Clamp R1-R10" be compatible instead?

    3. And finally, from where/how can I obtain the correct NPP value for this combination?


    Thank you for your support.

    With best regards
    LR 1 means lens ring size 1. LR 2 means lens ring size 2. V2 lens ring for Sigma 8mm used LR2W, LR2 with windows cut out. The lens ring plate should have model # marking at the base. If not, a LRP40 should have ruler markings up to 3.5.
    Does your lens ring has windows?

    Nick
    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nick fan View Post
      LR 1 means lens ring size 1. LR 2 means lens ring size 2. V2 lens ring for Sigma 8mm used LR2W, LR2 with windows cut out. The lens ring plate should have model # marking at the base. If not, a LRP40 should have ruler markings up to 3.5.
      Does your lens ring has windows?

      Nick
      Thank you for your answer.

      Yes, the outer lens (metal) ring got two windows.
      The inner lens ring (softer plastic) got one window.

      On the base of the lens ring following model # is engraved: LR2W

      Inside the inner lens ring (softer plastic) following is printed:
      Sigma 8mm/15mm for Canon V2

      With best regards

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Eyefish View Post
        Thank you for your answer.

        Yes, the outer lens (metal) ring got two windows.
        The inner lens ring (softer plastic) got one window.

        On the base of the lens ring following model # is engraved: LR2W

        Inside the inner lens ring (softer plastic) following is printed:
        Sigma 8mm/15mm for Canon V2

        With best regards


        LRP NPP should read 0.45.

        Nick
        Fanotec
        We listen. We try harder.

        Comment


        • #5
          Use the other line on the clamp that is 1cm apart from the reference line. It should read 1.45.
          Fanotec
          We listen. We try harder.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you for your answers.

            To summarize the measures I have to take to make the pano head fit to the lens + body:
            1) So first I have to replace the outdated LRP35 that came with the GTPPKG package with a LRP40.
            2) Then using the LRP40 I have to set up the NPP to 1.45 (reading the other line on the clamp that is 1cm apart from reference line).

            With best regards

            Comment


            • #7
              Actually the LRP35 is fine. Same NPP reading as other LRP40.

              Nick
              Fanotec
              We listen. We try harder.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nick fan View Post
                Use the other line on the clamp that is 1cm apart from the reference line. It should read 1.45.
                For clarification:
                The reference line is on the outside of the clamp, between two vernier-scale-style lines?
                Like in this picture (though it shows the NPP setup for a Nikon)?:


                With best regards
                Last edited by Eyefish; December 17, 2015, 05:54 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Eyefish View Post
                  For clarification:
                  The reference line is on the outside of the clamp, between two vernier-scale-style lines?
                  Like in this picture (though it shows the NPP setup for a Nikon)?:


                  With best regards
                  The NPP relates to the lens, not the body, so given the same lens for both Nikon and Canon the NPP should be the same.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank you for your answer.

                    1) So albeit there is a Sigma 8mm lens for Canon and a Sigma 8mm lens for Nikon,
                    they are only different in their electrical connections, the optical aspects of both are the same in regarding the NPP?

                    2) Regardless of the details on 1), this picture describes the correct NPP setting for _both_, the Sigma 8mm for Canon and Sigma 8mm Nikon?


                    Thank you and
                    with best regards

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      1) So albeit there is a Sigma 8mm lens for Canon and a Sigma 8mm lens for Nikon,
                      they are only different in their electrical connections, the optical aspects of both are the same in regarding the NPP?

                      Yes, the optics should be the same for both bodies although the connection to the body will be different and it may be that there could be slight optical differences at the rear, but the optics for the light entering at the front will be the same.
                      You can see diagrams for the light entering the lens on http://hugha.co.uk/NodalPoint/Index.htm
                      The Sigma 8mm is a Nikon fit, but the pattern of light entering the lens will be the same for Canon fit.

                      2) Regardless of the details on 1), this picture describes the correct NPP setting for _both_, the Sigma 8mm for Canon and Sigma 8mm Nikon?


                      Yes, however you can fine tune the setting.
                      I no longer have my Sigma 8mm, but now I use the same set up with a Samyang 8mm and I set up at the rig at the recommended setting.
                      i then took panoramas at that set up then took another 6 at 1mm intervals backward and forward from this value and processed them all in PTGui to find the setting that gave me the lowest values for the distance between Control Points.
                      All results were "very good", but there was a clear winner with the minimum differences.
                      Having set my rig to this value PTGui always gives me a "very good".
                      This should prove true whatever software you use to create your panoramas.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi ! I'm using the Ultimate R10 with a sigma 8mm / 3.5 on a Nikon D800 and wondering what settings I should use on the R10. Thanks in advance.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hello Sanje,
                          I use a Samyang 8mm on an R1 (essentially the same as an R10) with a D800 at +7.5 degrees (this closes the zenith well) and the setting on the rail of 22, which should be a good starting point.
                          You can "fine tune" the rail setting, by taking panoramas at say 2 mm intervals along the rail each way from this starting point and looking at the Control Point Distances after running the Optimiser which should show which is the best setting for you as mentioned previously.
                          I take 4 shots round if I have a static subject such as an empty room, but 6 shots round if there is likely to be any movement such as wind blowing leaves and people and animals moving around because with 6 shots round there is full overlap so the Mask option can be used to its full potential.
                          The settings for the Sigma 8 mm should not be too different to the Samyang 8 mm.
                          Note that the setting on the rail is only really critical if there are objects very close to the camera.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X